To celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Hot Wheels, they hit the road and held real-life car shows in Walmart carparks at 15 locations around the USA to find the next car to be immortalized as a Hot Wheels vehicle.
"When Hot Wheels launched the original “Sweet 16” die-cast cars in 1968, they were said to be some of the most influential and legendary cars in automotive history. And now, we’re hitting the road to find custom cars worthy of joining them as HOT WHEELS LEGENDS.
One finalist from each of the 15 cities will join us at SEMA 2018 in Las Vegas, where one lucky winner will be immortalized as a Hot Wheels Legend and get made into a die-cast car sold around the world. Don’t miss this epic event!"
The vehicles were judged in three categories:
- Authenticity - "Have you ever seen a car and said, “That looks like a Hot Wheels?” We’re looking for that “Hot Wheels-ness” that nails the amazing performance and outrageous design we’re known for."
- Originality - "We’ve made over 25,000 unique vehicle models in the past 50 years, so we’re looking for something with unique details that stands out from the rest."
- Garage Spirit - "It’s built, not bought, just like Hot Wheels. We’re looking to see some elbow grease that exemplifies the challenger spirit it took to build."
|April 28, 2018||Los Angeles, CA||Mitch Allread||1949 Ford F-5 Rat Rod|
|May 5, 2018||Kansas City, MO||Vicky & Randy Roeber||1938 Dodge Superior Bus|
|June 2, 2018||Bentonville, AR||Vin Erwin||1954 Ford 2-Ton Tow Truck|
|June 9, 2018||Nashville, TN||Suzy Bauter||1963 Rambler American Wagon|
|June 16, 2018||Newark, NJ||Luis Rodriguez|
|Custom '2 Jetz'|
|June 30, 2018||Atlanta, GA||Robert Graham||Custom 'Surf N Rod'|
|July 14, 2018||Chicago, IL||Brian Bergeron||1987 Porsche 944|
|July 28, 2018||Charlotte, NC||Delton Hubbard||1994 Chevrolet Geo Tracker 'Never Enough'|
|August 4, 2018||Seattle, WA||Bill & Dylan Brinkworth||1973 Datsun 240Z|
|August 11, 2018||Detroit, MI||Jeffery Peterson||1947 Chevy Crosley Sedan 'The Blue Goose'|
|August 25, 2018||Dallas, TX||Nestor Mendoza||1989 Datsun 1200|
|September 8, 2018||Miami, FL||Tony Batterson||Medieval One|
|September 22, 2018||Phoenix, AZ||Dan Robertson||1966 Chevy Pickup|
|October 6, 2018||Washington, D.C.||Aaron Buck||1936 Ford Pickup 'Cab Over Evolve'|
|October 20, 2018||Los Angeles, CA||Steve & Karla Howard||1938 Graham|
- Mitch Allread - Stop #1 Winner
- Vicky & Randy Roeber - Stop #2 Winner
- Vin Erwin - Stop #3 Winner
- Suzy Bauter - Stop #4 Winner
- Luis Rodriguez- Stop #5 Winner Winner
- Robert Graham - Stop #6 Winner
- Brian Bergeron - Stop #7 Winner
- Delton Hubbard - Stop #8 Winner
- Bill & Dylan Brinkworth - Stop #9 Winner
- Jeffery Peterson – Stop #10 Winner
- Nestor Mendoza – Stop #11 Winner
- Tony Batterson – Stop #12 Winner
- Dan Robertson – Stop #13 Winner
- Aaron Buck – Stop #14 Winner
- Steve & Karla Howard – Stop #15 Winner